- Split-testing is the science behind the art of media buying. Split testing is a very structured approach to finding profitable niches for a campaign. In order to do so, you need to choose the criteria to start split-testing; this is up to your discretion. Here is a non-exhaustive list of criteria that you can test: carriers, creatives, platform, device, traffic sources and content categories.
- In practice, split-testing happens in steps / sequences: one typically splittests one criteria at a time.
- First, identify all relevant targeting for the campaign. Make sure to keep it relatively broad and always cross check the targeting with the campaign’s restrictions.
- From there, you should launch 2-5 campaigns keeping all targeting constant except for the targeting criteria that you chose to base the test on.
- Make sure to differentiate each campaign with a subid. At Cheetah Media Link, affiliates append &subid=ANYTING parameter to their target URL for this purpose.
- Tips: For more experienced media buyers, the use of dynamic parameters provided by adnetworks can help you speed up the split-testing process. Depending on the adnetwork those parameters can help you identify device, carrier, creatives and content from which each click was derived.
Have more questions? Submit a request